Thursday, August 6, 2015

Late to the Party!

There was an episode of Modern Family where Claire and her brother, Mitchell, are working out. Claire mentions she had never seen the movie, Strangers on a Train. That prompts Mitch to turn to her with a condescending tone, saying, "You've never seen Strangers on a Train?!" That scene instantly came to mind when I thought of the idea for this post, because, when we watched that, my ex pointed to me, accusing me of doing the same thing whenever she mentioned a movie she had not seen.

The fact is, even though us fanatics go out of our way to see as many movies as possible, each and everyone of us have those classic pictures or well-regarded cult films that we have yet to experience. There's no rhyme or reason to why this happens. It just happens. So, I thought I would share with you some of those famous flicks that- seemingly- everyone has seen, but I'm still late to the party.



Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

I really do get a kick out of comedic horror movies. Evil Dead 2, Re-Animator, Shaun of the Dead, etc. Why I haven't seen the granddaddy of them all is beyond me.


Assault on Pecinct 13 (1976)

John Carpenter is, hands down, my favorite director. I should be ashamed of myself for not having seen all of his pictures, but the fact that Assault on Precinct 13 is one of those missing films adds an extra layer of guilt.


Blue Velvet (1986)

I must confess that David Lynch is kind of a weak spot for me. Which, looking back, is shocking considering my first was The Elephant Man at the tender age of four! Blue Velvet, one of Lynch's most popular movies, is streaming on Netflix, so I should get on this one. Like now.


Bullitt (1968)

There are a few classic action movies that have escaped me. Unfortunately, Bullitt is one of them.




Deliverance (1972)

I've seen bits and pieces of this on broadcast TV. So yeah, that doesn't count. 


El Topo (1971)

I have never seen a Jodorowsky picture. I'm totally interested, but I also held off watching the documentary, Jodorowsky's Dune, for that very reason. I just don't feel right watching a documentary on a failed film project I'm interested in knowing about without at least having an idea of the filmmaker behind it.


Repo Man (1983)

Anyone who knows me would look at this entry and ask, "Wait, Josh hasn't seen this?!" Yes, as much as I love 80s cult cinema and punk rock, I still haven't seen Repo Man. WTF?!


Repulsion (1965)

I've heard friends mention this one quite a number of times. Given my fondness for Polanski's Rosemary's Baby, I feel this sounds like another must-see for me.


Shaft (1971)

One genre I'm sad to say I'm ignorant of is blaxploitation. Wow, nice choice of words there, Obershaw. While I've seen Blacula, and it is considered a part of that type of film, I feel Shaft would be a more proper introduction.


Vertigo (1958)

The closest I've come to watching this film is seeing the video for Faith No More's "Last Cup of Sorrow". Don't judge me.

And for the record, I haven"t seen Strangers on a Train, either.

Got any famous flicks you've never seen? Share them in the comments below. And be sure to follow me on Twitter: DoctorSplatter

No comments:

Post a Comment